My husband’s favorite desserts are fruit pies or cobblers. My grandma makes delicious pies, but, I failed to learn that skill from her. As much as my husband loves pie, I have only ever used a store bought pie crust, and that has not been often. With no crust on the bottom, this No Fail Apple Pie may qualify as more of a cobbler. Because this recipe was introduced to me as pie, that is what I call it. This tasty treat was first served to me by a new friend, who became a lifetime friend. Maybe this alone biases me, but it is my favorite apple pie to make and eat.
No Fail Apple Pie
- 6-8 tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- Layer tart apple slices in a greased dish.Mix 2/3 cup of butter, softened with 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 egg and a pinch of salt in a separate bowl. Spread this mixture over the apples and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of white granulated sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon over the top of the apples.
- Mix 2/3 cup of butter, softened with 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 egg and a pinch of salt in a separate bowl. Spread this mixture over the apples.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
So simple. So delicious. And, it feeds my soul as it feeds my body, thinking of loved friends who shared this recipe with me and now live far away. Take advantage of apple season and bake an extra for a neighbor or friend. Your house will smell delightful and your taste buds will thank you!